Wednesday, May 22, 2013

3-D Food, what will they think of next?


3-D food?  Well before you dismiss the idea, the future is closer than you think. It seems that NASA has awarded a Texas company a $125,000 grant to develop a food synthesizer to create 3-D food.  Yes, you read it correctly, 3-D food!  The first thing they will make is pizza. And if this works, the company hopes that every kitchen will have a 3D printer.

Here's how it works: "The printer takes its ingredients from attached canisters of powdered food and oils. It combines those ingredients in a mixing chamber and uses the 3-D printer to shape the food. With a pizza, the dough is mixed from powders and printed as the first layer. It gets cooked as it is printed, according to Quartz. Then a layer of tomato sauce is mixed and added. And so on."  http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?post=991cb217-4874-4531-85dd-ca1049357c75

All this sounds interesting, but how will it taste? That's going to be the real question. Will it take the place of cooks reading recipes, mixing bowls, and measuring cups? Do I just type in what I have a craving for and out pops my smoked salmon with dill sauce?  All this “Star Trek” stuff sounds intriguing, but there's something about being able to say, "I slaved over a hot stove and made it myself." That a 3-D printer can't do.

With all this scientific stuff going on, I guess the next family reunion will be held on Mars after all, lol.  I'm just saying...


1 comment:

  1. When we start printing our food that is when I will go on a liquid diet!!! Don't get me wrong, I do not like slaving over a hot stove for a package of instant grits when the microwave has conked out, but PRINTED FOOD!! That's too dang much. Not only that, $125,000 to experience is too dang much money to be wasting on that! that money could have been given to this nation's farmers.

    You all can go on to Mars and eat your printed food.

    ReplyDelete